Blog Posts

What is the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program?

If you have yet to learn more about the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program, now may be the time to dive in.

Do you have concerns regarding international parental child abduction? For example, you may worry that your former spouse will take your child to another country without your permission.

If this is a concern, you can enroll your child in the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program. In order to be eligible, your child must be a United States citizen under the age of 18.

With this, if a passport application is submitted for the child, the Department of State, Office of Children’s Issues will contact the requesting parents to verify if all parental consent measures have been met.

In addition to your Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program request, you are also required to submit proof of your relationship to the child. For example, you can submit your child’s birth certificate.

If you neglect to provide proof of your parental relationship, it’s possible that your child could be issued a passport without your notification and/or consent.

It’s good to know that there is a program in place to help prevent international child abduction.

Although you may have reason to believe that the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program is unnecessary, it’s better to be safe than sorry if you have any concerns. Enrollment in this program will keep you informed, allowing you to know if your child’s other parent has filed a passport application for him or her.

If you have any concerns about international parental child abduction, don’t hesitate to learn more about this program as well as your legal rights.

Source: U.S. Department of State, “Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program,” accessed April 11, 2017

Recent Posts