PLEASE NOTE: Johnson, Johnson & Nolan will remain open and available to serve you during the COVID-19 crisis. We are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via Telephone or Video Conference. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Five Generations Of Legal Excellence - One Client At A Time
Family Law
Estate Planning
Probate And Estate
Business Law

Illinois child support modification considerations

On Behalf of | Apr 8, 2015 | Child Support |

Our Practice Areas

The legal establishment of child support arrangements does not necessarily prohibit changes from being made in the future. Illinois state and federal family law guidelines account for changes in income and other factors that can impact child support payments. Consequently, it is important for custodial and noncustodial parents alike to be aware of when and how their case may be subject to child support modification.

The federal Office of Child Support Enforcement provides an overview of the child support program, and explains that there are several reasons for creating and/or amending a child support agreement. Custodial and noncustodial parents both have the right to have their child support order reviewed by their local child support enforcement office whenever substantial changes in circumstances occur. Such changes can include but are not limited to:

  • Loss of employment
  • Incarceration
  • Raise in income

Parents are also generally given the opportunity to have their child support case reviewed after so many years. According to Illinois Child Support Services, custodial and noncustodial parents automatically become eligible to request case reviews every three years. In the event that one or both parents request a modification review, they are typically expected to provide the Illinois Division of Child Support Services with income information. They are then notified as to whether it is recommended that their child support payments should decrease, stay the same or increase. Once a review is completed, parents also generally have the right contest a redetermination and request an administrative hearing to reconsider their case.



FindLaw Network