PLEASE NOTE: Johnson, Johnson & Nolan will remain open and available to serve you during the COVID-19 crisis. We are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via Telephone or Video Conference. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Five Generations Of Legal Excellence - One Client At A Time
Family Law
Estate Planning
Probate And Estate
Business Law

Follow these child support modification tips

On Behalf of | Feb 14, 2017 | Family Law |

Our Practice Areas

There may come a time when you realize that a previously ordered child support agreement is no longer feasible. For example, a serious life event, such as an illness or job loss, could impact your ability to stay current with child support payments.

If you find yourself in this situation, it’s time to learn more about getting a child support modification. By taking the right steps, you may be able to lower your payments. Consider the following:

— Act fast. If you are unable to make a child support payment, don’t wait to take the steps necessary to secure a modification.

— Know the laws in your state. Every state is unique in regards to its child support system and laws for modification.

— Reach out to the other parent. You have the right to explain your situation to the other parent in hopes that he or she will agree to a modification.

— Keep current with payments to the best of your ability. Even if you are unable to pay the full amount, pay as much as you can until you’re able to secure a modification.

— Take notes regarding your change in circumstances. For example, if you’ve become ill, keep medical records that will back up this claim.

— Get in touch with the right court. Don’t wait to find the appropriate family court and file your child support modification.

It can be difficult to navigate this process, but there is always help available. When you follow these child support modification tips, you put yourself in better position to get what you want without much of a delay.

Source: FindLaw, “Child Support Modification Tips,” accessed Feb. 14, 2017



FindLaw Network