PLEASE NOTE: Johnson, Johnson & Nolan will remain open and available to serve you during the COVID-19 crisis. We are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via Telephone or Video Conference. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Five Generations Of Legal Excellence - One Client At A Time
Family Law
Estate Planning
Probate And Estate
Business Law

Good faith reasons to move with the kids after a divorce

On Behalf of | May 27, 2022 | Child Custody |

Our Practice Areas

After a divorce, if you and your ex share custody of your children, you have to consider this when making major life decisions. Before getting married, for example, you were free to move wherever you want. But now moving may be more difficult because you have to respect your ex’s right to see the kids.

For instance, maybe the children live with you all week and visit your ex on the weekends. You want to move to a different state, but your ex points out that the drive will then be too long for them to realistically see the kids. The court can deny your request to move because it would violate your ex’s custody rights.

Does this mean you can never relocate?

This sounds daunting, but it doesn’t mean that you can never move or that you’re forever trapped where your ex wants to live. You just need a good faith reason to move that shows the court that you’re not trying to keep your ex from seeing the children and that the reason for the move is not just spite. Some examples of potential good reasons include:

  • Continuing your education or going back to school.
  • Getting a better job or starting a brand new position with another company.
  • Moving closer to your extended family members, who may help you take care of the child while working or going to school.
  • Moving to a different state because the cost of living is better, making it easier to provide for the child.

When you do have a good faith reason to move, then the court sees that you are acting in the child’s best interests. Make sure you know exactly what legal steps to take when a situation like this becomes complicated. 



FindLaw Network