What A Divorce Lawyer Can Do For You
Have you been thinking about divorce? Have you already filed or been served papers? If the answer is “yes” this is a good time for you to talk to a knowledgeable divorce attorney. There are dozens of good reasons for doing so. Here are five of the top reasons to talk to a divorce lawyer:
- Protect your interests: As a married couple, you and your spouse’s interests were aligned. That is no longer the case. Even in an amicable divorce, you must make sure you are being treated fairly under the law. Your future is yours alone now. Your divorce attorney is bound to advocate for you, protecting your interests and your future.
- Get straight talk: If you are facing divorce, your friends are likely supportive and see every point of contention your way. This is good news on a personal level, but can actually damage your legal perspective. Getting the straight facts will give you a realistic outlook on how a court is likely to rule on a given issue. This knowledge can also help you understand when it’s time to fight and when it’s better to give ground. At some point, someone has to tell you what you need to hear, as opposed to what you want to hear. Your attorney should always give you the unvarnished truth based on the facts and the law. At Johnson, Johnson, & Nolan, Attorneys at Law, we certainly will because you need and deserve straight talk at this critical time.
- Avoid costly mistakes: Typically, it costs far more to fix a botched divorce than to pay an attorney to get it right the first time. Many people are trying “do-it-yourself” divorces these days, but this can be a costly mistake. Illinois divorce law is extremely complex. Adding to the difficulty is the stress and emotional turmoil of divorce. It’s easier to make mistakes in an emotionally charged situation. When you hire an attorney, he or she will apply professional insight and be able to see the issues from a cool-headed perspective.
- Relieve your stress: You’ve probably been dwelling on this divorce night and day. It might be keeping you up at night. By talking to an attorney, you can rest assured that a skilled professional is protecting your interests. Many of our clients walk into our offices with the weight of the world on their shoulders. After talking to our knowledgeable attorneys, they feel better knowing their case is in capable hands.
- Reduce conflict: Hiring an attorney can be seen as an aggressive move, but can actually help you reduce fighting and acrimony in the long run. By having a skilled lawyer on your side, you will be operating from a position of strength, making negotiations more likely to go favorably for you. A good divorce attorney knows how to resolve conflicts through negotiation, but is always prepared for courtroom litigation when the other party refuses to be reasonable.