PLEASE NOTE: Johnson, Johnson & Nolan will remain open and available to serve you during the COVID-19 crisis. We are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via Telephone or Video Conference. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Five Generations Of Legal Excellence - One Client At A Time
Family Law
Estate Planning
Probate And Estate
Business Law

Am I able to get child support from a parent in another state?

On Behalf of | Jul 2, 2016 | Child Support |

Our Practice Areas

When it comes to child support orders, there are a wide variety of factors that can have an impact on both parents. For example, the non-custodial parent’s income may affect how much child support they are required to pay as well as how much support the custodial parent will receive. If you are a custodial parent living in Belleville, or elsewhere in the state of Illinois, you should address any issues you have concerning child support, such as collecting child support from an out-of-state parent, at once.

According to the Department of Child Support Services, custodial parents who live in Illinois are able to receive child support from a custodial parent who lives in another state. In fact, the Department may be able to help you get child support from a custodial parent who lives in another country. Because of the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, Illinois can work with other states to collect child support and provide custodial parents with the funds they need. If you are unsure of where you child’s other parent lives, there are a number of tools the DCSS has at their disposal to find where the person is currently staying.

Legal issues involving children can be emotional and complicated, especially when a parent lives outside of the state. However, you should always do what you can to provide your child with the quality of life he or she deserves. Please keep in mind that this post is not to be interpreted as legal counsel.



FindLaw Network