Maybe you and your spouse have been chatting about divorce for quite some time. Or maybe you’ve been thinking about this, while your spouse doesn’t believe too much is wrong with your marriage.
Regardless of your situation, there may come a point when you need to ask for a divorce. This is easier said than done, but with some tips you can put yourself on the right path. Here are the things you need to do:
- Prepare yourself for the conversation, knowing that anything and everything could be thrown your way
- Choose the right time and place, all with the idea of remaining safe
- Be firm in what you’re saying, as you don’t want to give off the impression that you’re not “all in”
- Be ready for anything in regard to your spouse’s reaction, from crying to shouting to laughing
- Don’t feel that you have to discuss the details at this time, as you can get to this in the future
Although these are the types of tips you can follow when asking for a divorce, there’s no way of knowing for sure what will happen. There is no simple answer, as this is a challenging time in your life.
Once you clear the air with your spouse, you can begin to learn more about the divorce process. Focus on the process as a whole, as well as what you can do along the way to move things forward in an efficient manner. As long as you understand the process and your legal rights, you can feel good about every decision you make.
Source: The Huffington Post, “The Best Way to Ask Your Spouse for a Divorce,” accessed April 26, 2018